If you are planning your vacation on this wonderful island, in this article you will find all the things to see and tips to help you organize your trip to the fullest.
Zakynthos is part of the Ionian Islands, along with Corfu and Cephalonia. A true natural paradise, famous for the reproduction of turtle turtles.
Connected by the airports of Rome, Milan and Bologna. It can be reached by boat from the ports of Venice, Ancona, Bari and Brindisi, with connection to Patras. From here you can reach the port of Killini about 45 minutes and then take the ferry that will take you to the island in less than an hour.
For the interior travel it is absolutely advisable to rent the quad for the entire duration of the journey, the most used vehicle by tourists. The island is small and from north to south the travel times to reach the top tourist attractions are rather short, about one hour. The same goes from east to west and vice versa. The roads are mostly in the countryside, with the presence of a rich vegetation of olive trees and small villages spread throughout the territory.
The climate is characterized by very hot and dry summers.
The western part is full of cliffs and caves, while east and south we find a much more flat part.
The island offers a variety of accommodation options, hotels and residences at really affordable rates. For example, you might find yourself paying around € 300 for a week during July.
The preferred places to stay are in the vicinity of the beaches and the most popular and vibrant resorts of the island such as: Alykes, Tsilivi, Laganas, Aghios Sostis and Argassi. All offer bars, clubs, restaurants and souvenir shops, open to late night markets. You will be amazed by the atmosphere you breathe when you arrive in the evening. You will be greeted by a triumph of lights and colors, illuminated signs, almost as if to be in a Thai resort. You will suddenly see many carriages on the main road.
Laganas is the most suitable for young people, distinguished by numerous discos.
The town of Zante is characterized by streets and porticoes with many shops, bars and restaurants. Overlooking the harbor from where the connections to and from the island arrive.
On the east side you will find one of the most beautiful places in the Mediterranean.
- Navagio’s beach or wreck beach is a small white sandy tongue from the blue sea, where the remains of a ship of cigarette smugglers were wrecked there in 1983. To go it is possible from Porto Vromi to reach the beach in Boat with 15/20 euros. But it is also advisable to head towards Volimes, to have the opportunity to admire the beach from above, going to the shipwreck view, in fact you will find a small walking path to the highest part. The view will give you shivers giving you the impression of a surreal spot. The depth of the sea, the blue of the water, and the white high cliffs will leave you breathless, preserving this beautiful memory for your whole life.
Continuing southward, always from the east side, you will find:
- Porto Limnionas, a beautiful natural swimming pool surrounded by white rocks, with the possibility of renting sun loungers and umbrellas at a cost of 8 euros. There is also a restaurant where you can dine.
Going further south:
- Porto Roxa, also here facilities with sun loungers and umbrellas, bars and restaurants. Remember that it is all reef so you have to dive in to swim.
The most beautiful beaches on the east side do not miss are:
- Makris Giallos, shingle beach, with particularly green sea.
- Xygia, a beautiful sumptuous cove, from the green sea, sulphurous water characterized by small cold currents. Possibility of sun loungers and umbrella at the cost of 8 euros, but you will have to go early to find a place. Another peculiarity is the ability to make your orders from the beach to the bar / restaurant placed above, getting them through a small ingenious craft cable car.
- Amoudi, beach characterized by low backdrop and crystal clear water.
- Tsilivi, a free and private beach featuring low backdrop and crystal clear water.
Going to the south of the island, always on the east side you will find:
- Banana beach, sandy beach, sandy backdrop, and transparent water. You will have the opportunity to stay in free or private. Some sun loungers and umbrellas require only a free offer. Fantastic Banana baya beach bar / Restaurant located a little higher, gives a wonderful view of the entire bay, giving moments of pure relaxation to its guests, with the presence of over tables, even decking, hammock, and canopy bed. A really welcoming place.
- Gerakas, formed by a long sandy tongue that ends on a cobblestone promontory diving on a beautiful transparent sea. For those wishing to wake up before dawn, the opportunity, from May to October, to watch the turtle egg whitening and admire dozens of specimens to reach the sea. Just because of the turtles’ choice for reproduction, this beach is a protected area by the marine park and apart from being deprived of large tourist facilities access is forbidden from half an hour before sunset until half an hour after dawn .
To the south you should not miss:
- Aghios Sostis beach with low backdrop with umbrella and modest sun beds 6 euro for two people, bar / restaurant.
From there continue and head to:
- Cameo Island: imagine a small island hanging on the sea, accessible from a quaint jetty. When you enter, you will be given a mandatory pass of the cost of 5 euros which includes a choice meal. At this point, there will be a scenery that you never imagined, a beach where the sea is very green, with white hangings hanging from a thread. It seems to be a little secret paradise.
From aghios sostis you can buy tickets for a tour on the island of Marathonisi, the turtle island, and the Keri Cave, where you will pass through the spectacular arches of its caves.
Last advice, sunset, look out at Keri Lighthouse, where you will find a kiosk that will offer you the chance to enjoy a relaxing drink with stunning views of the Gulf. At the two ends you will find two dizzying views of the sea and the cliffs and the lighthouse. Then decide whether to stop for dinner at Keri’s lighthouse restaurant which offers wonderful views and flat prices with average island rates.
To dinner on the island the average spending for two people will hardly exceed 30 euros. The dessert is almost always offered by the restaurant and the services are fast and well groomed. (In the next article recommended restaurant recommendations)